Wednesday 17 November 2010

Weekend in Bari

Hello everyone,

 

It has been a while since my last entry however I thought I would let you know that life is still as interesting as ever. This weekend I had the pleasure of travelling to the south of Italy: Bari.

 

This place has a special meaning for me as I went to see where “Pandinha” comes from. It was great to meet her family and friends. More than that I went to see a true Italian Party and an Italian football match: Bari – Parma.

2010-11-16 06.45.46

So if you have ever wondered what an Italian Party is about well let me tell you: it is not quite like you would imagine… yes of course everyone is dressed to impress. The women have taken the time to do their hair put make up on actually they are all extremely beautiful: fashion is part of the Italian life style. The men are also very conscious of how and what they dress. Makes the party interesting: almost like a gala night straight out of the box. Beyond that is the music, there is a whole range of Italian songs that foreigners never see or hear. However these songs have the ability to get everyone wild and crazy. (I guess every nation has this). The food is amazing. Now the interesting thing is however that I would have thought that the Italians by nature are known as the true “lovers” of the world but the truth is that the society still is very connected to its roots: men typically hang out with the men and the women with the women. Why? I do not fully know. Still it is interesting to see. Dont get me wrong when the music gets going there is no distinction just party!!!!

 

The other highlight for me was to see a football game in an Italian Stadium. The stadium is actually beautiful!!!

6af71_4108150818_b327c37629_o

What I found amazing was that even though I went to see Bari=Parma, the 58000 seat stadium was 40% full!!! Which means that football is such a big part of society. That is what people do: watch football on Sundays. I was in the “Curva Norte” where all the “hardcore” supporters cheer their team. It was great to see the environment and the passion/support for the team which currently is in last position of the league. That did not matter for 90 minutes the flags, the songs went on and on. Even thought the team lost at the end, there was still enough passion in the air to be proud of. I really loved it:)

 

Of course there were many other highlights, romantic moments during this trip but I would like to say that the last night was special as I spent a truly  Italian night with Pandinhas friends. They are all great. Even though my Italian is not fluent, their body language helps one understand what is going on. Imagine this…

Having a meal with 6 Italians, (of course they know the owner) in this little cozy restaurant, which is part of the old city, decorated with 70/80 music stars, the room is filled with “arcs” which remind one of a church, no lights, only candles on the tables. We all have a glass of wine or beer eating the traditional pizza and sharing funny stories. What a night. Thank you guys:) http://www.lauascezze.com/

 

 

Tips and Tricks for travelers to Bari:

Arriving in Bari it is an adventure to find the city center as the roads in the south of Italy are very confusing. I always find myself complaining about why do the Dutch keep digging up the roads, but the alternative is Bari. Even though driving in Bari is perhaps what makes it a special place. Of course parking is a challenge so if you get a car, get the smallest one you can find.

 

I traveled there by plane: it is cheap (40 euros return ticket from Dussuldorf) and great. Thanks Ryanair:)

2010-11-19

The city itself is big, where the highlight clearly is the old part of the town. It is beautiful. I have travelled around but there are few places on this planet which are as nice as the old part of Bari. If you go to Bari it is a MUST. There are several churches all with their own history. It is actually very interesting as that part of Italy has been ruled by so many nations: result it is visible throughout the city. I particularly liked the Basilica of Saint Nicolas, the Cathedral and the Castle. But again 2 days it is hard to see everything that the city has to offer.

 

Italy actually is driven by football so if you can watch a game during the weekend you will see what I mean. The game is like a passion that the nation thrives on. Some would say that it is an outlet of frustration of the current political situation but is an experience which justifies the trip itself.

 

Meals are GREAT, I mean you have to start the day with a Cappuccino and a Cornetto (chocolate is great), after that your day can only get better. There are great little pastry shops all over the place… meals are about 10 euros including drinks. It is just paradise on earth.

 

I would say that 2 days + travel time in Bari is the perfect amount to stay there.

No comments: