Tuesday 30 November 2010

Weekend in Edinburgh

It had been a while since I was last in Scotland and wow, it was great to be back. During the 2 years I lived in Scotland I had never visited Edinburgh… I know what a disgrace so I thought I would put thing right by visiting it with a few friends.

2010-11-28 15.38.34

I caught the plane from Amsterdam and landed in Edinburgh. The airport is actually not that big. But my first impression was wow, it is so easy to get to the city centre… Bus 100 and there you go 20 minute bus ride with free internet.

 

Walking around Edinburgh is amazing, well specially in the snow. There are several nice things to see in Edinburgh, but just like any other tourist headed towards the Castle.

 

After the castle and a bit of touristic shopping walking down the Royal Mile (because it is exactly one mile from the castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse). Of course a meal of Fish and Chips was in order. To give the Scottish credit, with the cold weather the idea of warm deep fried fish with vinegar and the famous brown source (similar to HP) is very very nice, specially if you are cold and hungry.

 

One big highlight for me was the Elephant House, where Harry Potter Books were born!!! What a nice little cafe next to the Scottish Museum.

2010-11-27 12.52.56

It was a special feeling to see Princess street, the main shopping road in Edinburgh as there was a German market on. It is kind of strange to Travel from Netherlands to Scotland and have Fritzel, so I decided to have the proper Mead, being a warm 14% drink which is also known as honey wine.

2010-11-28 13.03.05

“As long as only one hundred of us remain alive, we shall never on any conditions be brought under English rule”

 

There are a few things which really make Edinburgh interesting, not only the castle and the tourist attractions, but the fact that so much history happened in this place. Being known for ghosts and being able to go around the city late a night looking for ghosts, or going to the Grassmarket where there is always going on, or the fact that there so many international people studying/working. Just walking down the street you get a warm feeling. Weather this is what true Scotland is about I am not sure, but is definitely a side that I had not quiet experienced and I am really glad that I made it to Edinburgh.

 

Of course like all trips there is always a catch… I caught the snow, and this caused the airport to close for a couple of days…Being stranded in Scotland is actually not too bad. Complete chaos at the airport, ticket service desks, hotels, but to be fair no one controls the snow or the weather. This is what the castle looked like on the first day I was there.

2010-11-28 13.43.43 

 

Tips and Tricks for Visiting Edinburgh

It is actually very cheap to fly to Edinburgh.

There are several hostels hotels, i would recommend near the city centre on the bus root. I stayed in Haymarket which is a good place. Within walking distance to the castle.

Travelling around: I would go by bus, get a daily ticket 3 pounds. It is 3.5 pounds to the airport via bus. Or if you are pushed for time: 20 pounds by taxi.

Food: Be sure to try Haggis, Fish and Chips. Well the truth is go in to a pub and look at a menu I am sure that most of things on there will be worth trying at least one:) I also enjoy the beer/whisky but if you are not an alcohol drinker, or just are thirsty try the orange wonder: Iron Brew.

Experience: Glasgow is known for its football, but Edinburgh is much more a Rugby city, so go to a pub and watch a game of Rugby. There is nothing like that. Of course at night you must have a wee whisky. Single malt is recommended. Take the opportunity to ask about whisky as there is much more to it than a few brands like Glenfiddich.

Time: To truly know Edinburgh I would say 3 days is a good amount of time, as there is so much in Scotland to see it would be a pity to stay too long in Edinburgh.

No comments: